About: Fly + Intellect
Mz Coko likes being Fly... and Mz Coko likes talking about stuff other than clothes... cuz that's what 'Intellectuals' do. Plus Mz Coko has a slight case of ADD and can not stay on one topic... so whatever Mz Coko feels like talking about (something along the lines of fashion and black folk issues) is what is gonna get talked about.
.Recently.Mz.Coko.Thought...
.Catch.Up.
.About.Mz.Coko.

Name: Coko Mulan
Home: Detroit, MI, United States
About Me: 23. Christian. TheDazzleCartelFounder.SalonZeroDegrees.AccessoryFreak. ShoeAddict. UniversityOfMichiganAlumni. BigSister. Daughter. AttitudeProblem. Comedienne. Shop-a-holic. Intellectual(Duh). Opinionated
See my complete profile

.Mz.Coko.Likes...
Powered by

Isnaini Dot Com

BLOGGER

 

 

 
  Monday, October 6, 2008  
 
 
Today is the last day to register to vote!!!
I'm not one really interested in politics like other people are. However, when there is an issue important to me, I do go out and try to get it passed. When I was a junior in high school, I wanted the millage in my city to pass, started a group for that. It passed. When I was a freshman in college.. proposition 2 came up, which is similar to prop 209 in California that ended affirmative action. I rallied for that, especially at my school and in the neighborhoods (University of Michigan. We lost that battle. Now, the presidential elections... I've been canvassing neighborhoods, and standing on random corners trying to get people to vote.

This election is the most important ones in our lifetime, whichever the outcome.

I went to the Jay-Z concert on Saturday that the Barack Obama campaign put on to get people registered to vote. It was AWESOME by the way,(more on that later) but Jay-Z said something that made me realize how much more important this is. He said now, he really feels like you can grow up to be anything that you wanted to be. That sounds cliche', but this is coming from one of the richest and most influential black men in this country and possibly the world. Even HE didn't believe that before now. This election does not only affect us, it is affecting black people across the world. Africa and its diaspora.

After experiencing all the racist bullshit that I've experienced these past 4 years at my university, having the Obama campaign experience, listening to Obama speak, listening to others speak about Obama, taking two classes on race this semester (great time huh) and watching this video.. I sat and I cried... well got teary-eyed.. and that says a lot because I am NOT emotional. But.. I think about my great-grandma, grandma, mom, and me and just realize how far we have come as a people. We aren't there yet.. but we are making progress.

Labels: , ,

posted by Coko Mulan @ 5:31 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home